- The Ice team website has the stories on Game 3 and Game 4 1-0 wins over Green Bay that clinched the series. The Green Bay Press-Gazette also had on-site coverage of Game 3 and Game 4.
- The Ice will face the Dubuque Fighting Saints in the next round, as Dubuque beat Cedar Rapids 3 games to 1 after a 7-3 victory in Game 4 Friday night. The series will begin at Pan Am Pavilion Friday and Saturday. Look here for a full preview later.
- ICYMI, former Indiana Ice coach Jeff Blashill was named the AHL Coach of the Year last week. He is preparing his Grand Rapids Griffins team to defend the Calder Cup as the playoffs begin this week. The Hockey News believes Blashill will be coaching in the NHL sooner rather than later. One of his contemporaries -- former Green Bay coach Jon Cooper -- is doing so, leading the Tampa Bay Lightning. The USHL site also notes the award.
- Blashill isn't the only coach in the AHL Playoffs with Indianapolis ties. Former Indianapolis Ice player and coach Bruce Cassidy is leading the Providence Bruins as they begin postseason play this week.
- Two former Icemen are competing for the Stanley Cup. Torey Krug with the Boston Bruins, and Paul Carey for the Colorado Avalanche. Both are skating for division champion teams. The Ice site has a story on both players. Carey was one of 11 Avalanche to make his postseason debut on Thursday when the Avs hosted Minnesota. In a look back on his first full NHL season with NESN, Krug said starting his second playoff run is "like Christmas," especially in facing the Detroit Red Wings, the team he grew up following. That makes it a story the Detroit media is all over.
- Speaking of Krug, he had 2 assists in the Bruins' 4-1 win over the Red Wings in Game 2 on Sunday afternoon.
- Another former Iceman, Adam Erne, signed with Tampa Bay at the start of the month and scored his first pro goal in the AHL for the Syracuse Crunch last week.
Sunday, April 20, 2014
Indy hockey-related links
A few potpourri items for the week: Looking back at the Ice-Green Bay series, a few Jeff Blashill Coach of the Year links, and items on Torey Krug & Paul Carey, two Ice alumni competing for the Stanley Cup; and another Ice alum scores his first pro goal.