Former Indiana Ice captain Torey Krug led the Boston Bruins in scoring in their five-game first-round victory over the Detroit Red Wings.
- CSNNE's Joe Haggerty: Krug showing last year's playoff was no fluke
- CBS Boston's Matt Kalman: Torey Krug & Dougie Hamilton provide left-right blueline punch
- Boston.com: Krug's Game 4 goal looks familiar
- Boston Herald: Krug puts hometown days behind him
While they were eliminated from the playoffs by Pittsburgh Monday night, the Columbus Blue Jackets impressed many. One key is defenseman Jack Johnson, who was born in Indianapolis, who had a critical goal to give the franchise its first playoff win during the series. A couple of notes on him.
- Columbus Dispatch's Michael Arace: Johnson setting example for Blue Jackets
- ESPN.com's Scott Burnside says Johnson is built for the Blue Jackets and the playoffs
- The Calgary Flames are set to hire Brad Treliving as their general manager. Treliving has two connections to the city -- he played for the Ice during their early IHL years, and he was later commissioner of the Central Hockey League when the Ice were a part of the circuit. He had been assistant GM of the Phoenix Coyotes.
- Not necessarily a headline-grabber, but Grantland's Sean McIndoe (aka Down Goes Brown, a blog named after former Ice and NHL player Rob Brown) likes to dig up former players and give us snapshots. This past weekend's post included one on perennial IHL Ice forward Sergei Krivokrasov, who had a decent NHL career, but holds an obscure record. Every playoff point he scored in his career came on an overtime winner.
Meanwhile, the ECHL Indy Fuel are gearing up for their first season, and they had an opportunity to show off the newly-renovated and spectacular Fairgrounds Coliseum this past Sunday.
We had a big post of former Indy players now competing in the various league playoffs. An update on players/coaches still alive:
NHL: Torey Krug (Boston) is moving on to face Montreal in the Eastern Conference Final. Paul Carey (Colorado) is still playing Minnesota. Former Indianapolis Ice coach Darryl Sutter is trying to mount a comeback for his L.A. Kings from a 3-0 deficit to San Jose. Indianapolis-born Jack Johnson's Columbus team was eliminated by Pittsburgh in six games.
AHL: The playoffs are in their opening week. Will update the progress of several players/coaches with Indy ties next week.
ECHL: Former Indiana Ice Mike Embach & Joe Hartman were part of a Fort Wayne team that ousted top-seeded Reading in the opening round. Corey Fienhage & Cody Reichard's Orlando team is trailing Cincinnati 3-2 in the opening-round series. Eric Kattelus' Kalamazoo Wings are also trailing in their opening-round series against Greenville.