It's Entry Draft day, so the Ice looked to replenish their forward corps which was the highest-scoring in the league this year -- but is also seeing many of its members move on to college hockey next season.There are also a lot of Western players (including a handful from the Phoenix area) and some beef, including a 6-9 forward and a 6-4, 213-pound power forward who is getting some peeks by the NHL. Nearly all of the Ice's 12 picks were forwards, although there were a few D-men sprinkled in. Combined with the Futures Draft picks, the Ice are going a long way to settling their roster.
Team draft release
Scroll down below the break for bios, videos and more on the 12 draftees.
3. Tyler Pham (F, Fort Collins, Co.). DOB: 5/24/94. Is a 2012 University of Denver commit, so would spend one year with the Ice. Played three games with Chicago in the USHL last season, but primarily played with the Colorado Thunderbirds Midget Major team. Stands 5-9, 160, and is a left-handed shot. Considered to be a high-level prospect who committed early to Denver. Had 11 goals and 19 assists in 40 games.
2009 story about his commitment to Denver
12. Danny Sherer (F, Nashota, Wis.). DOB: 1/12/92. A 6-0, 190-pound forward who scored 18 goals and had 20 assists for the Amarillo Bulls of the Tier II NAHL this past season. The Bulls were third in the Tier II Robertson Cup standings. He also had nine playoff points in 13 games. Left-handed shot.
16. Adam Johnson (F, Hibbing, Minn.). DOB: 6/1994. 5-10, 150-pound forward who played this past season for Hibbing-Chisholm High School in Minnesota. He had 42 goals and 43 assists in 31 games, including a December stretch where he tallied 14 goals and 10 assists in four games. He has committed to Minnesota-Duluth. Pretty small, but reportedly has good dangles and a lot of skill. His father played at UMD.
Article on Johnson committing to UMD
Johnson's 2010-11 stats
Matt deking through an entire team and scoring
27. Matt Seidel (F, Michigan). DOB: 1994. Has some pretty good dangles, as you can see in the YouTube video. Will join the Ice as a 17-year-old. Played for Belle Tire U16 team in Michigan. Had 23 goals and 10 assists in 34 games this season.
Seidel's 2010-11 stats
42. Drew Newmayer (D, Scottsdale, Ariz.). DOB: 3/15/1994. 5-10, 165-pound defenseman who played for the Phoenix Junior Coyotes last season. Had an 8-12-20 line in 36 games and totaled just two PIMs.
Newmayer's 2010-11 stats
57. John Draeger (D, Morristown, Minn.). DOB: 12/2/1993. Defenseman who played for Shattuck's USA Hockey U18 national championship team this year. 6-0, 159, right-handed shot. Totaled 3-8-11 in 54 games this year.
Story on Shattuck's national title
192. Woodruff Hudson (F, Rochester, NY). DOB: 8/10/1992. As a 19-year-old when the season starts, likely a one-year player for the Ice. 6-2, 203-pound right wing. Totaled 27 points in 27 games for Milton Academy in 2010.Was ranked 209th among NA forwards in the CSB rankings last year.
207. Ian Janco (D, Bloomington, Minn.). DOB: 7/27/94. Totaled a goal and 16 assists for Bloomington Jefferson HS. Had a couple of multi-point games. Was also a +17. 6-0, 175, right-handed shot.
Sean Sanford's highlights from this year
222. Sean Sanford (F, Phoenix, Arix.). DOB: 8/5/92. This guy is HUGE. 6-9, 230 pounds. Will be an imposing figure on the ice. Played for Drumheller in the Alberta Junior Hockey League this past year. Right-hand shot who can also play defense. Being a '92 birth, he'll be 19 this year and likely be a one-year player. Had an 8-14-22 line and 59 PIMs this year in 55 games.
Cianfrone uses his speed to run down the puck and score.
237. Bryson Cianfrone (C, Stoney Creek, Ont.). DOB: 1995. Has given a verbal commitment to Michigan. 5-10, 165, plays for the Toronto Marlboros in the GTHL, captaining the team. Skilled center with lots of speed. Being a '95 birth, likely to play two years before heading to the NCAA. He is from Stoney Creek, Ontario, the same hometown as former Indianapolis Chiefs goaltender Cliff Hicks.
Michigan Hockey story
252. Cody Gyllyng (C, Chandler, Ariz.). DOB: 6/20/1994. 5-9, 160-pound forward who played for the AAA U18 Phoenix Junior Coyotes this year, totaling 21-16-37 in 36 games. He had just 6 PIMs in those games, too.
267. Charles Orzetti (C, Wyckoff, N.J.). DOB: 2/28/92. Another 1992 birthdate, so a likely one-year player in the USHL. Big forward, at 6-4, 213, and likes to use his size along the wall. Played with the EJHL's Jersey Hitmen this year. Totaled 10-12-22 and 42 PIMs in 29 games. Left shot who also skated with the USNDTP. Committed to Yale.
Profile on Bruins Draft Watch
2009 interview with Orzetti
282. Jack McFarlane (F, Cloquet, Minn.). 6-1, 195, strong forward playing for Cloquet-Esko-Carlton HS in Minnesota. In 26 contests, had a 22-34-56 line and a +28 rating this season, including three hat tricks and a six-point game.
Game story from his four-goal game